A couple of days ago Microsoft officially announced the Windows 8 SKU’s,with 3 major SKU’s,namely Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro for the x86 version of systems while the Windows 8 RT for the ARM systems.
The enterprise version named Windows 8 Enterprise was also announced.Today in a detailed post Microsoft revealed the highlighting features of Windows 8 Enterprise version.So Windows 8 Enterprise will include all the features of Windows 8 Pro , plus premium features designed to provide the mobile productivity, security, manageability and virtualization needs of today’s businesses.
Here’s what you will get with your Windows 8 Enterprise version:
- Windows To Go is a fully manageable corporate Windows 8 desktop on a bootable external USB stick. This will allow IT organizations to support the “Bring Your Own PC” trend and businesses can give contingent staff access to the corporate environment without compromising security.
- DirectAccess allows remote users to seamlessly access resources inside a corporate network without having to launch a separate VPN and helps IT administrators keep remote users’ PCs in compliance by applying the latest policies, software updates, is easier to deploy, and it can be implemented with the existing IPv4 infrastructure.
- BranchCache allows users’ PCs to cache files, websites, and other content from central servers, so content is not repeatedly downloaded across the wide area network (WAN). When used with Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 brings several improvements to BranchCache to streamline the deployment process, optimize bandwidth over WAN connections and ensure better security and scalabilty.
- AppLocker can help mitigate issues by restricting the files and apps that users or groups are allowed to run.
- VDI enhancements: Enhancements in Microsoft RemoteFX and Windows Server 2012, provide users with a rich desktop experience with the ability to play 3D graphics, use USB peripherals and use touch-enabled devices across any type of network (LAN or WAN) for VDI scenarios.
- New Windows 8 App Deployment: Domain joined PCs and tablets running Windows 8 Enterprise will automatically be enabled to side-load internal, Windows 8 Metro style apps.
Windows 8 is expected to be released later this year.The Release Candidate version is expected to hit by end of May or early June,so we can expect a official announcement for the release date of Windows 8.