First of all,those who are running the Windows 8 RTM Can right away download and enjoy the Modern UI based Firefox on their systems.
Mozilla has been working on the Modern UI version of Firefox which would run on the Windows 8 operating system.The latest build i.e Firefox 18.1 can be downloaded for those who already have a Windows 8 RTM up and running.
Brian Bondy recently updated his blog post with a list of new features of this version of firefox for Windows 8.
- Metro browser registration capable installer
- Zip builds which do registration upon setting default browser from within Firefox
- Updates enabled
- New navigation URL bar inspired by the australis theme
- New tab bar with tab previews (double swipe from the top edge or bottom edge to expose the tab previews)
- Alternate tab bar with always visible tabs
- Auto complete screen with tile suggestions as you type
- New touch optimized start screen with tiles
- Windows 8 App bar with common functionality
- Changes to the default theme to fit into Metro
- Various new touch capabilities
- Various keyboard shortcuts
- On screen keyboard handling
- Gesture support
- In-page text selection
- Crash reporting
- Telemetry support
- Context sensitive default handling, if in Metro stay in Metro for link clicks
- Sync support with browser through remote Firefox sync (Set it up through settings)
- Support for the share data contract to share the current page with another Metro application
- Support for the search contract to search inside Firefox whether or not Firefox is already open
- Support for the settings contract accessible via the settings charm
- Support for snap and filled states, to use Firefox and another Metro application at the same time
- Metro open and save file picker support
- Support for secondary tiles (pinned websites to your start screen)
- View current page on desktop functionality
- Spell checking enabled
Since the browser is currently in its early stages of development there are some of the features which are disabled in the current build like Flash has been disabled but We will see it in future updates,while Add-On support has also been disabled for this version and will be added via Add-On SDK later on.
Among other things Panning and Zooming support is also disabled,while mouse scrolling is not working at the moment,so users will have to use either the keyboard or the touch input for scrolling through pages.Windows 8 is the only supported operating system for this browser while There is no support for DirectX 9 as of now.
You can download the Browser from MozillaWiKi.